Thursday, July 19, 2012

Awkward Phase of My Sisterlocks Journey

You know that period of time in your journey where your hair is either too new to be cooperative or you just don't know what to do with it; that's the "awkward phase". When I had my TWA, the awkward phase was...eh...but I made it through. Now on my Sisterlock journey and having thought I'd been through that phase already and I don't have to worry about it, I find myself there now.

I literally just realized this morning that I am actively going through the awkward phase. I know this because I read a post on IG about how afraid people are to start their loc journey because of that awkward phase, and a fellow loc rocker said that was the best stage. She summed up that phase as the time you find yourself and your inner beauty.

Her words hit me like a ton of bricks. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sisterlocks and I absolutely love myself, but I notice I don't take even half as many self portraits as I did with my 'Fro or the beginning of my Sisterlock journey. Well, I do take the pictures but im just like "Eww, my hair looks weird in this picture" or "I wish my hair was in an updo this picture would look better". So after reading her comment on IG, I realized that I have been in denial about the awkward phase of my journey and I need to look inward more.

I truly enjoyed the awkward phase of my loose natural journey; and you can ask any of my friends and family, during that phase I found my passion in natural hair care and purpose to encourage women to accept their natural beauty. This makes me realize that I need to do more soul searching and find inspiration from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics