Thursday, October 18, 2012

My DIY Sisterlocks Retightening Experience

So I had my last retightening a few weeks ago and before this retightening I had the sudden urge to try to retighten my hair myself. Keep in mind I hadn't had my hair retightened in almost 8 weeks, 2 weeks over my norm, and there was definitely a mini afro situation going on in my head. The short version of the story, I took one Sisterlock from the front and did the pattern I thought was best for my hair. After only 2-3 minutes I saw scalp, yay! It definitely wasn't as bad as I though it'd be.


Since it seemed to come with ease, I did a few more and I became really confident, like "Yeah, I could have been did my whole head!"



I know since the last time I did the Loc Wrap I've gotten a lot of requests for a tutorial, but I had been waiting to get my retightening first. Since I was retightening the front of my hair anyway, I figured why not put in a new Loc Wrap. After retightening the Sisterlock closest to my ear, I wrapped it up with multiple colors.



This wrap took me a while to do because I wanted to get it perfect for the tutorial (coming soon). After finishing the Loc Wrap, I got carried away and decided to retighten the whole front perimeter of my head. The whole process took me a good 2.5 hours (including the loc wrap).



After I finished doing the retightening I still had to shampoo my hair AND dry it for my retightening appointment. I then learned a very valuable lesson. DO NOT retighten your hair BEFORE you have to shampoo. Ouch! I'm already tender-headed, so putting the front of my hair in braided-bundles was not fun!

Knowing that I can retighten my own Sisterlocks is very rewarding, but at the same time it's daunting because its a lot of hair and work. I'm not sure if I'm going to completely maintain my Sisterlocks or continue going to my Consultant.

Do you maintain your own hair or go to a Stylist/Locitian?

7 comments:

  1. Girl, that's what I call patience lol I freeform my dreads so I haven't seen a stylist chair in over 5 years.

    Even when I was loose I mainly did my own hair. I'm very low maintenance so I stayed in twists and puffs. Plus I was always broke, plus I'd heard horror stories of stylist ripping through nappy hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it definitely took a lot of patience, lol! Do you ever palm-roll your locs or are you completely free-form?

      Delete
  2. I do, only see a Consultant twice a year. In the beginning your arms can gets very tired. However, it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I retighten my hair and my seven year old. Bur sometimes, I want some pampering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're amazing to do all that work. How long have you had Sisterlocks?

      Delete
  4. @ Nathalie P., do you have a video of how to retighten sisterlock?

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics