Tuesday, April 23, 2013

[Product Review] As I Am "Smoothing Gel"

You know that product that starts off ok, gets better with further use, becomes a staple product, and then fails miserably? I don't personally have too many experiences like this but the As I Am "Smoothing Gel" (sadly) definitely falls into this category. 


I picked up this product about 4 months ago from the Cosmetology Store because it looked interesting (one of the key elements of discovery, lol) and I know my hair likes light-weight gels. The product said it would provide "moisturizing shine and hold" and the ingredients seemed good too:

Ingredients: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root¹, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice ¹, Glycerin¹, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein², Laureth-23, Potassium Sorbate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene. Source: 1-Natural; 2-Wheat Derived
You know about 4 months ago I was just started my Traditional Locs journey so I started using this product on my newbie locs. The first time I used the product, I shampooed my hair and let it air dry almost 80% before I did the retwist so my hair was pretty dry. The product delivered on the hold, even a little too much because my locs (if you can call them that at that point) were really hard, after I sat under the dryer for about 30 minutes. Personally, I didn't mind because I needed my hair to really hold as I was in the beginning phases of loc'ing. The retwist lasted me the full two-weeks and when it came time to shampoo my hair again the product rinsed out easily, which is very important with locs.

The product advises being used on wet hair, so I figured I should follow directions, lol. For the most part, all of the subsequent times I tried the product I've done so on wet hair and I never experienced any flaking. I would apply the product from the roots to the ends because again I am still in the beginning phases of loc'ing. At this point, I'm in the "loving it" phase and using it for every retwist and then I tried it on TB.

When I tried it on TB it was about 3 months into me using it on myself and seeing consistently good results. Since TB's locs are mature, I only needed to apply it to the nu growth and I did so on wet hair. The immediate results after the retwist were GREAT, smooth roots and nice shine; but unlike other gels I've used on his locs the hold didn't last very long. I noticed some buildup in his locs after using the product. So I stopped using it on his locs, but continued to use it on myself...


On my following retwist, when I went to use the product I noticed that the consistency had changed. First it started as a light-weight gel but now it has transformed into a thick gummy texture. Yuck.


I don't know why the consistency changed, whether it was because it is nearing the very bottom of the jar or because I keep it in my bathroom (really the only things I can think of) but it was really weird that it changed. With the consistency change the effectiveness of the product changed as well. My retwists don't hold as much, like literally I had puffy roots within the same week and its takes more shampoos to actually get the product out of my locs.

So overall, after four months of consistent use, from the beginning of the jar to the bottom, I've loved and fell out of love with this product. It is possible that it will work for you, because it did work for me in the beginning, but maybe only plan to use half the jar or keep it outside the bathroom, lol. Oh, but I've heard it works great for twists on loose natural hair!

Check out the video review [HERE] of the product and share your thoughts and experiences too...


Have you ever tried the As I Am "Smoothing Gel" or would you give it a try?

1 comment:

Web Statistics