Thursday, January 31, 2013

Advantages & Disadvantages of Sisterlocks and Traditional Locs

I am frequently asked, "How do I chose between Sisterlocks and Traditional Locs?" or "What are the differences between Sisterlocks and Traditional Locs?", so I created a video to outline, in my opinion, the advantages & disadvantages of both types of locs. Keep in mind, when I say "disadvantage" I am using the term loosely and as a generality for some mindsets, not all.





Here is an outline of the areas that I discuss in the video:



Advantages of Sisterlocks
1. Sisterlocks are a lifestyle, not a hairstyle. 
2. Sisterlocks allow you to have maximum styling versatility, if established correctly. 
3. The look of Sisterlocks is very neat and they barely look like "locs". 
4. They are a medium maintenance hairstyle. 
5. You don't have to buy a lot products; only require the Sisterlocks™ shampoo. 
6. Sisterlocks are "designer locs" and customized for your hair texture and pattern. 


"Disadvantages" of Sisterlocks 
1. You have to follow a very structured lifestyle and regimen. 
2. Some women experience excessive loc breakage. 
3. You cannot use any moisturizing products in your hair (while the Sisterlocks are settling). 



Advantages of Traditional Locs 
1. They are a very low maintenance style. 
2. You have an array of sizes to choose from. 
3. Traditional Locs are not lifestyle dependent.
4. You can use products to fit your needs.



"Disadvantages" of Traditional Locs
1. Your styling options may be limited by the parts and/or size of locs. 
2. It is easy to become a product junkie. 
3. There is no established "standard" for repair, maintenance, or hair care.

Overall, when is comes to deciding between them, Sisterlocks or Traditional Locs, examine your lifestyle and hair care practices. You can also check out the video [HERE] for more in-depth detail of the advantages and disadvantages. 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I have several people that follow my Facebook page (http://facebook.com/DiscoveringNatural) that have either sisterlocks or traditional locs. I will share this info with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you sharing my post with your community! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey CurlyNuGrowth.
    I think this video is very informative and I enjoyed it a lot. This has really helped solidify my decision. I have decided I want sisterlocks. I love the way they look and the fact that they have structure. I am a very "routine-based" person and do not like to defer from them too much. Also, once I have a routine down, I get better at it by being faster, quicker, more effective etc. And lastly, I'm just not sure how regular sized dreads would look on my face lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I know this random lol but Is that picture of you underneath the video, when you were a loose natural? I think that style is really pretty.

      Delete
    2. No, all the pictures in this post are of my locs, those were Sisterlocks set on Pipe Cleaners. Thank you for the compliment though :)

      Delete
    3. Your welcome. And wow, if that picture is of your sisterlocks I definitely can't wait to get them!

      Delete
  3. Hi CurlyNuGrowth! Your post was very informative the only thing I would add is with Sisterlocks we can use moisturizing products. When my clients are newbies 1 yr or less they use a essential oil spritz and the Sisterlocks starter shampoo. I know some consultants won't use nothing and I mean nothing but the spritz that i make is very light ( rosemary & peppermint EO) and does not cause slippage or unraveling. Once Sisterlocks are mature the client can use any product that fits your need. It dosen't have to be a Sisterlocks product :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out the post! I agree a light spritz of essentials oils is ok but typically nothing is necessary or encouraged while the locs are settling. I'll add that in :)

      Delete
  4. Hello my sisterlocks are 6 months old where did the time go I love my sisterlocks I agree my consultant told me that is entirely up to you no products until they settled I don't think that I am going to use any products she does not use any products and she had hers 12 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jojo!

    I was wondering now that you are 8mths in with your traditional locs are your views still the same?

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics